Different meanings for different situations can make this slang term confusing asl
So, What Does ASL Mean?
In its most common usage, asl is an abbreviation for as hell, meaning extremely. When you say as hell quickly, it sounds like asl.
Asl is used for emphasis after an adjective to indicate that someone or something is extremely as described, e.g funny asl, crazy asl, cool asl.
It is used in texting, on messaging apps such as Kik, WhatsApp and Snapchat, and on social media such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
ASL has a different definition when used in chat sites such as Omegle. In this context, ASL stands for Age, Sex, Location? It is used as a question, and is a conversation opener to find out the age, gender and general location of the person you are chatting to.
ASL is the online chat equivalent to a handshake and introduction. Since chat site users aren’t supposed to disclose names, their age, sex and location serve as their identifying information instead. Some people do use it though to help them decide whether to make sexual advances.
I be hungry asl 😭😭 I’m skinny fat ass person.
Omm don’t play with me, I’m really crazy asl. 😭💯🙃
I’m single asl but there’s somebody that’ll get mad if I do single sht. 🙂
I love goofy people we lit asl.😹😹
Whenever some asks me ‘ASL?’ I say my age is 24 and my sex location is usually the skip in the alleyway behind Pret.
Asl being used as an abbreviation for as hell is a relatively recent phenomenon. The earliest such usage found on Twitter was from 2010. In 2010 and 2011, this term was frequently written using a capital L, i.e. asL. It was only from 2012 onward that the current format became the standardized way of writing asl.
ASL meaning Age, Sex, Location has been in use on internet chat sites since at least 1997, which is the earliest Google search reference for this usage.
It is only in the last few years that as hell has overtaken age, sex, location as the most relevant meaning of asl.
ASL is an abbreviation that has several different other meanings, including:
1. American Sign Language, which is the predominant sign language of Deaf communities in the United States and most of English-speaking Canada.
2. Above Sea Level is a standard metric measurement in meters of the elevation or altitude of a location in reference to a historic mean sea level.
3. Advanced Squad Leader is a tactical-level board wargame, which simulates actions of approximately company or battalion size in World War II.
4. Apache Software License is a free software license written by the Apache Software Foundation.
5. The Application Services Library is a public domain framework of best practices used to standardize processes within Application Management.
6. Average Shot Length is used in film-making as a cinemetrical measurement. It is calculated by dividing the duration of the movie (in seconds) by the number of shots.
7. The American School in London is an international, private, independent K-12 school in St John’s Wood, London for students aged between 4 and 18 years.